The Veterinary Assistant program is designed to provide the student the knowledge and hands-on skills necessary to build a successful career as a competent entry-level veterinary assistant. The program prepares the student to work in a veterinary hospital, private practice, nature center, zoo, research facility, or veterinary clinic.
The Veterinary Assistant program provides the student with the knowledge of proper restraint and control of animals, collecting and recording medical histories, performing vital signs, receiving hospital patients, and assisting the veterinarian with the treatment of patients. The student will also learn to prepare animals and instruments for surgery, perform inventories, assist with filling prescriptions, perform laboratory tests, and obtain lab specimens. The student will also learn to position animals to obtain x-rays, administer medications, and apply bandages. The program concludes with an externship to a local veterinary facility to provide hands-on working experience. The program is designed for the student with little or no prior experience in the field.
- Anatomy & Physiology of Mammals
- Fundamentals of Veterinary Assisting I
- Small Animal Care and Mgmt
- Veterinary Pharmacology
- Fundamentals of Vet Assisting II
- Fundamentals of Vet Assisting II Lab
- Veterinary Clinical Sciences
- Veterinary Clinical Sciences Lab
- Diseases in Companion Animals
- Career Development
- Veterinary Assistant Externship
Veterinary Assistant Job Placement Sites
Below is a list of employers who recently hired graduates of the Veterinary Assistant Program
- Millcreek Animal Hospital, Erie, PA
- Humane Society of Northwest Pennsylvania, Erie PA
- Pleasant Animal Hospital, Ashtabula OH
- Animal Ark Pet Hospital, Erie PA
- Greenville Veterinary Clinic, Greenville PA
- Fairview Veterinary Hospital, Fairview PA
- Titusville Veterinary Clinic, Titusville PA
- A.N.N.A. Shelter, Erie PA
- Corry Veterinary Clinic, Corry PA
- Twinbrook Veterinary Hospital, Erie PA
- Albion Animal Center, Albion PA
- God’s Creatures Animal Hospital, Landrum SC
Dana Hultberg - Hospital Manager
Animal Kingdom Pet Hospital
We have been working with Great Lakes and their extern program for several years, and have been fortunate to have gained several great technicians. As our practice continues to grow and thrive, we will continue to work with Great Lakes to provide us in the future with well-qualified technicians.
Alannah Labesky - Veterinary Assistant
Twinbrook Veterinary Hospital
I'm very happy with my decision to attend Great Lakes. When I graduated, I already had a job waiting for me at Twinbrook. Now I get to go to work every day and do a job I love!
Kelsey Boucher - Out Patient Veterinary Nurse
Camboro Veterinary Hospital
My training at Great Lakes prepared me with an abundance of knowledge and hands-on experience pertaining to both small and large animal medicine, different ways to handle high pressure situations, and how to interact with the humans behind the animals.
Tiffany Mazzocco - Veterinary Assistant
The Humane Society of NWPA
I loved coming to Great Lakes every day. It was very hands on and you could tell the Instructors loved what they did. It made me want to be in the field even more!
Thomas Smith DVM - Veterinary Assistant
Twinbrook Veterinary Hospital
The Veterinary Assistant grads we've hired are highly trained and passionate about caring for animals. Great Lakes has been a valuable resource when it comes to staffing our veterinary hospital.
Ready to Start